Friday, 5th September 2014
Self-employed workers in the UK - 2014
Source: Office for National Statistics (UK)
• Self-employment higher than at any point over past 40 years
• Rise in total employment since 2008 predominantly among the self-employed
• Rise predominately down to fewer people leaving self-employment than in the past
• The number of over 65s who are self-employed has more than doubled in the past 5 years to reach nearly half a million
• Self-employed workers tend to be older than employees and are more likely to work higher (over 45) or lower (8 or less) hours
• The number of women in self-employment is increasing at a faster rate than the number of men (although men still dominate self employment)
• The most common roles are working in construction and taxi driving and in recent years there have been increases in management consultants
• Average income from self-employment fallen by 22% since 2008/09
• Across the European Union the UK has had the third largest percentage rise in self-employment since 2009
+ Direct link to document (PDF; 493 KB)
Having begun his career in academic libraries, Adrian Janes has subsequently worked extensively in public libraries, chiefly in enquiry work as an Information Services librarian. In this role he has had particular responsibility for information from both the UK Government and the European Union. He wrote a detailed report on sources for the latter which was published by FreePint in 2007, and has contributed articles to FreePint and ResourceShelf. He is involved in training in information literacy and the use of online reference resources.
A Contributing Editor to DocuTicker, he also write reviews for Pennyblackmusic.
More articles by Adrian Janes »
Please note: DocuTicker's editors collect citations for full-text PDF reports freely available on the web but we do not archive these reports. When you click a link to find and/or download the report, you are leaving the DocuTicker site. DocuTicker makes no representations regarding the ongoing availability of any report or any external resource. Links were accurate as of the date of posting.