Friday, 5th September 2014
UK: Population by Country of Birth and Nationality Report, August 2014
Source: Office for National Statistics (UK)
This article outlines the latest population estimates for the UK by country of birth and nationality, covering the period from 2004 up to the latest data for the year ending December 2013. The report discusses how these figures have changed over this period and highlights any statistically significant changes over the past two years in the resident population of the UK.
• In 2013, 1 in 8 (12.4%) of the usual resident population of the UK were born abroad. This compares to 1 in 11 (8.9%) in 2004.
• In 2013, 1 in 13 (7.8%) of the usual resident population of the UK had non-British nationality. This compares to 1 in 20 (5.0%) in 2004.
• In 2013, there were a higher number of usual residents in the UK that held EU nationality (excluding British) than held non-EU nationality (2,507,000 compared to 2,394,000) – the first time this has occurred since the Annual Population Survey began in 2004.
• India is the most common non-UK country of birth in 2013. An estimated 734,000 usual residents of the UK were born in India (9.4% of the total non-UK born population resident in the UK).
• Polish is the most common non-British nationality in 2013. An estimated 726,000 usual residents of the UK have Polish nationality (14.8% of the total number of non-British nationals resident in the UK).
+ Direct link to document (PDF; 152 KB)
Having begun his career in academic libraries, Adrian Janes has subsequently worked extensively in public libraries, chiefly in enquiry work as an Information Services librarian. In this role he has had particular responsibility for information from both the UK Government and the European Union. He wrote a detailed report on sources for the latter which was published by FreePint in 2007, and has contributed articles to FreePint and ResourceShelf. He is involved in training in information literacy and the use of online reference resources.
A Contributing Editor to DocuTicker, he also write reviews for Pennyblackmusic.
Adrian can be reached at email@example.com
More articles by Adrian Janes »
Please note: DocuTicker's editors collect citations for full-text PDF reports freely available on the web but we do not archive these reports. When you click a link to find and/or download the report, you are leaving the DocuTicker site. DocuTicker makes no representations regarding the ongoing availability of any report or any external resource. Links were accurate as of the date of posting.