Tuesday, 1st October 2013
UK: Full Report - Women in the Labour Market
Source: Office for National Statistics (UK)
• Rising employment for women and falling employment for men over 40 years
• Men have consistently higher employment rates than women above the age of 22
• Employment rates for women lowest in Northern Ireland and London
• Birmingham has the lowest employment rate among the smaller areas
• Men with children more likely to work than those without – opposite picture for women • The employment rate gap between mothers in a couple and lone mothers smaller for those with older children
• Men tend to work in the professional occupations associated with higher levels of pay than women
• Women dominate employment within caring and leisure occupations
• The number of women working within managerial roles slightly higher than the EU average
• Female graduates more likely to work in a slightly lower skilled occupation group than men
• Men make up the majority of workers in the top 10% of earners for all employees but the gap is lower for those under 30
+ Direct link to document (PDF; 425 KB)
By Adrian Janes
Having begun his career in academic libraries, Adrian Janes has subsequently worked extensively in public libraries, chiefly in enquiry work as an Information Services librarian. In this role he has had particular responsibility for information from both the UK Government and the European Union. He wrote a detailed report on sources for the latter which was published by FreePint in 2007, and has contributed articles to FreePint and ResourceShelf. He is involved in training in information literacy and the use of online reference resources.
A Contributing Editor to DocuTicker, he also write reviews for Pennyblackmusic.
Adrian can be reached at email@example.com
More articles by Adrian Janes »
Please note: DocuTicker's editors collect citations for full-text PDF reports freely available on the web but we do not archive these reports. When you click a link to find and/or download the report, you are leaving the DocuTicker site. DocuTicker makes no representations regarding the ongoing availability of any report or any external resource. Links were accurate as of the date of posting.