Thursday, 2nd August 2012
UK: Travel Trends 2011
Source: Office for National Statistics (UK)
From Key Trends:
2011 saw an increase in number of overseas visits both to and from the UK for the first time since 2006.
Overseas residents made 3.3 per cent more visits to the UK in 2011 compared with 2010 and in total stayed for 3.2 per cent more nights and spent 6.5 per cent more money on these visits.
UK residents made 2.3 per cent more visits abroad. However, they stayed for 2.0 per cent less nights and spent 0.4 per cent less money on these visits in 2011 compared with 2010.
Visits to the UK from each of North America, Europe and Other Countries rose in 2011.
Similarly, visits for each of the main purposes of visit, holiday, business and to visit friends orrelatives, all grew. The rise in holiday visits is a continuation of a trend dating back to 2002, whereas both business visits and those to visit friends or relatives represent some recovery following falls in recent years.
Overseas residents made 15.3 million overnight visits to London in 2011, an increase of 584,000 (4.0 per cent) from 2010, and spent an estimated £9.4 billion on visits to the Capital.
Overnight visits to the rest of England grew by 3.4 per cent to 13.0 million in 2011 while those to Scotland and Wales were broadly unchanged at 2.3 million and 0.9 million respectively.
The average visit abroad by UK residents was shorter haul in 2011 than in 2010. Visits to Europe grew by 3.5 per cent while those to North America grew by 0.4 per cent and those to Other Countries fell by 2.6 per cent.
+ Direct link to document (PDF; 261 KB)
By Adrian Janes
Having begun his career in academic libraries, Adrian Janes is currently an Information Services Librarian with the London Borough of Havering.
In this role, he has particular responsibility for information from both the UK Government and the European Union. He wrote a detailed report on sources for the latter which was published by Free Pint Ltd. in 2007. He is also involved in training and publicising online reference resources and is a regular contributor to DocuTicker.
Adrian can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
More articles by Adrian Janes »
Please note: DocuTicker's editors collect citations for full-text PDF reports freely available on the web but we do not archive these reports. When you click a link to find and/or download the report, you are leaving the DocuTicker site. DocuTicker makes no representations regarding the ongoing availability of any report or any external resource. Links were accurate as of the date of posting.