Tuesday, 29th May 2012
Spring 2012 Statistics of Income Bulletin
Source: Internal Revenue Service
From the press release:
The Internal Revenue Service has announced that the spring 2012 issue of the Statistics of Income Bulletin is available to the general public. This issue features information on high-income individual income tax returns filed for tax year 2009.
Taxpayers filed more than 3.9 million returns with adjusted gross incomes of $200,000 or more. These high-income returns represent almost 2.8 percent of all returns filed for 2009.
The Statistics of Income (SOI) Division produces the SOI Bulletin on a quarterly basis. Articles included in the publication provide the most recent data available from various tax and information returns filed by U.S. taxpayers. This issue of the SOI Bulletin also includes articles on the following:
- Noncash charitable contributions. For tax year 2009, 21.9 million individual taxpayers who itemized deductions reported $31.8 billion in deductions for noncash charitable contributions
- Individual retirement arrangements (IRAs). At the end of tax year 2008, individual income taxpayers held $3.7 trillion in IRAs, based on fair market value.
- Foreign recipients of U.S. income. For tax year 2009, U.S. source income payments to foreign persons totaled $546.5 billion.
- Corporate income. For each tax year between 2004 and 2008, on average, 5 percent of corporate Schedule M-3 filers reported taxable income of more than $18.3 million.
- Gift tax returns. Individuals filed 223,000 federal gift tax returns to report almost $37.9 billion in assets transferred during 2009.
- Income and wealth. Almost 21 percent of estate tax decedents who died in 2007 reported income in the top 1 percent of the adjusted gross income distribution for tax year 2006.
+ Link to complete SOI bulletin (PDF; 1.52 MB) or HTML version
By Peggy Garvin
Peggy Garvin, of Garvin Information Consulting, is the author of United States Government Internet Directory (Bernan Press) and Real World Research Skills, 2009 (TheCapitol.Net). In her 20 years in the information business, Peggy has managed electronic information products and services in a variety of environments, including commercial publishing, e-commerce, law firms, and the Congressional Research Service of the Library of Congress. Peggy's work has been recognized with the 2011 SLA Dow Jones Leadership Award. She has a Masters of Library Science degree from Syracuse University School of Information Studies.
More articles by Peggy Garvin »
Please note: DocuTicker's editors collect citations for full-text PDF reports freely available on the web but we do not archive these reports. When you click a link to find and/or download the report, you are leaving the DocuTicker site. DocuTicker makes no representations regarding the ongoing availability of any report or any external resource. Links were accurate as of the date of posting.